Earlier in the day, the Ministry of External Affairs had said that a Mig-21 had been lost while a pilot was missing after Indian forces engaged with intruding Pakistan Air Force jets, shooting one down.
Tensions between the two nuclear powers escalated on Wednesday as both countries said they had shot down each other's fighter jets over the disputed Kashmir region.
The latest attacks, the first since a war in 1971, saw Pakistan air force today shoot down two Indian military jets after they crossed the frontier.
Ghafoor said the Pakistani aircraft had carried out the strikes in response to India's air strike the day before but had taken deliberate action to ensure no casualties were caused.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a phone call with Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi also called for avoiding military action.
Pakistan claimed to have detained two pilots who were flying the warplanes - but later changed the figures to just one. In the press briefing, Foreign Ministry spokesman Ravish Kumar said that Indian Air Force has killed a Pakistani jet F-16. "The officers of the Pakistan Army have looked after me very well", Abhinandan acknowledged in the video. "The strikes are deliberately directed at non-military targets avoiding human loss and collateral damage".More news: Trump Delays Increase in Tariffs on Chinese Goods
"It was conveyed that India expects Pakistan to take immediate and verifiable action against terrorism emanating from territories under its control", it said.
The Pakistani government on Wednesday also closed down its civilian airspace, and Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan called for direct talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
By the evening, there were reports that mortar fire had been exchanged between Indian and Pakistani troops across the disputed boundary line in Kashmir.
Nuclear-armed India and Pakistan have fought two of their three full-fledged wars over Kashmir since their partition during independence from Britain in 1947.
The military response came after a February 14 auto bomb attack on a convoy in Indian-controlled Kashmir killed 40 paramilitary troops. An Indian military statement said that "out of anger and frustration", Pakistan initiated an "unprovoked cease-fire violation".
India's attack on Tuesday targeted the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), the group that claimed credit for the suicide attack.